It’s a long weekend, but that doesn’t have to mean a long drive to get away. Skip the traffic heading to cottage country. Take a short drive to Elora and Fergus, because whatever the weather, there is fun to be had here.
3 things to do in Fergus and Elora on this August long weekend:
Celebrate Food Day Canada
An event founded by Elora’s own Queen of Culinary Anita Stewart in 2003, August 5th has been designated as Food Day Canada, to create a national celebration of the food grown, produced and harvested across this nation – and the flavourful recipes and stories that celebrate our diversity.
The Elora Farmers’ Market is marking Food Day Canada by inviting 5 local chefs to the market for a special sampling of local fare with local flare. The event runs from 10am-1pm. $20 to sample the delights (kids free).
Best part? You’re be enjoying the riverside view of the Grand River in Elora’s Bissell Park and enjoying the fabulous Elora Farmers’ Market, featuring the best in local produce and food.
A Day at the Museum
The Wellington County Museum and Archives, undoubtedly the coolest heritage building around, has a full line-up of exhibits that showcase why Elora and Fergus are great places to be. From our beautiful trails and waterways to the incredible artists that call this place home, check out these exhibits:
- Insights Juried Exhibition of Fine Arts
- The Grand River – Where the smooth waters glide
- Shand Dam: The Taming of the Grand
- Rails to Trails: Celebrating the Elora Cataract Trailway
Head to the races
Festivities kick off at 1:00 pm afternoon with a powerful race card and fun activities for all ages. Post time for the first dash is 1:30 p.m.
The event showcases 11 races worth $460,000 in purses, featuring Grand River Raceway’s biggest dash of the season, the 20th annual Battle Of Waterloo. The $200,200 race will be contested by nine Ontario-sired two-year-old pacing colts in Race 11. The ninth annual Battle Of The Belles will be contested for $139,250 in Race 10.
And there’s more:
- All-Access Kids’ Pass is available onsite for $5 and includes face painting, balloon artists, bouncy castles, pony rides and a petting zoo (1:00 – 4:30).
- Free flip-flops compliments of Ontario Racing.
- Pick The Winner contest for the Battle Of Waterloo, presented by Standardbred Canada. The winner receives a $50 I Love Canadian Harness Racing prize pack.
- Meet ‘N Greet with Ontario Standardbred Adoption Society ambassador Ruff Me Up (1:00 – 3:00).
- Half-Time Show (after Race #5) featuring prize tosses and the 13thannual Drivers’ Edition of the Bouncy Pony Stakes.
So skip the traffic jams and head to Elora and Fergus, because once you get here we know you’ll add to your adventure. Drive safe and we’ll see you soon.