The 182nd annual Fergus Fall Fair is this weekend celebrating our “Country Roots.”
September 14, 15 and 16.
Come on and get your country on!
Sure, most people come to Fergus to see the beauty of the Grand River, our beautiful historic downtown or the many events that have put our community on the map, but one thing we really have to be proud of here are our “Country Roots.” It’s what started this community and it’s what feeds us today.
You don’t have to be from here to feel welcome at this community tradition because that’s the whole point. Here we celebrate the farmers who feed us, the next generation learning the value of working the land and the growing importance of agriculture in our changing world.
As progress and growth changes the landscape, we know that agriculture is the bedrock of our community and we are thrilled to see the Fergus Fall Fair thrive without losing the charm that is the 182 years of tradition and a heritage worth saving.
Get out of the city and get back to your country roots.
Here’s our pick for the things you absolutely must do to get a real Fergus Fall Fairexperience:
1. Walk around the animal rings and watch the 4-H youth prepare their animals for the show ring, because any kid who never got to spend time on a farm really needs to watch the work it takes to get a cow ready for the big event. Hair dryers, colour sprays, clippers – the beauty of a fall fair is there is no behind-the-scenes. It’s all about the work and the care that goes into it.
2. Cheer on the 4-H youth as they compete in the show ring with their farm animals, like the dairy competition or the sheep show. You will begin to appreciate the hours and hours of chores, animal care and dedication it takes to get these animals show ready. Plus, watch the work it takes to walk a cow into a ring and ask it stand still! We’re totally fascinated by watching these young people work so hard. It’s serious business.
3. Don’t chicken out. Tour the barns and check out the birds. Seriously, everybody gets a real kick out of this. Up close and personal with some of the most beautiful chickens, ducks, geese and more. It will make you appreciate all the variations of birds and what it takes to keep them healthy
4. The Midway, because whether you ride a vomit-comet or just laugh at those who do, there is something so nostalgic about the sights and lights of the midway as the September sun sets.
5. Pies. Crafts. Cooking. Admit it, you want to see who won. And for those of us who have no idea how to bake, sew or glue anything to anything, this is impressive.
6. Four words: Farmer Olympics/Redneck Games. Tell us the curiosity of just exactly what that entails isn’t enough to inspire you check it out.
7. Truck pulls. We have no idea why these are so awesome, but there is something about them that brings us back every year. It’s exciting and we have no idea why.
8. The Extreme Bike Show is fun to watch. And then to realize that you probably shouldn’t try anything you saw at home.
9. Horses. And more horses. Because, they’re horses.
10. Eat a candy apple and cotton candy while you enjoy the live music, because a sugar rush AND live music? Right?!
It doesn’t matter how old you are, where you’re from or whether you know a Holstein from a Limousin, (those are cow breeds, folks), we are sure you’ll find the Fergus Fall Fair a jam-packed weekend of fun for the whole family.
Come celebrate our “Country Roots” – see where we come from and where we’re going at the 182nd Fergus Fall Fair.